Monday

Changing Locks in New Apartment

I just moved into a new apartment. My lease says that I can’t change the locks unless I get permission first and provide my landlord with two sets of keys. The whole point of changing the locks is so that no one else has my keys. Why should I give them copies?

The landlord owns the unit and has both the responsibility and legal right to access for specific reasons such as essential maintenance and emergencies. This isn’t just about you. What happens if a water leak develops in your apartment and is causing damage to the apartment below? Should the landlord and your neighbor be forced to wait for you to come home to stop the damage? What about a gas leak that could destroy the whole building, perhaps killing people?

It is understandable that you want to protect yourself and when you are home you should certainly use your deadbolts and chain locks. But it is essential that your landlord has a copy of your keys.

Note. It should be noted that many landlords do not change locks between tenants, therefore people who previously lived in your apartment may have access. It is a good idea to ask your landlord if they change locks between tenants. If they don’t, get them changed, but make sure that you give copies to your landlord.

originally posted June 15, 2007

No comments: