Monday

NYC Apartment Competition in the Fall

Lately every viewing I have been to has had dozens of students. I am worried that I am competing against too many people because of the time of year. Would I have a better chance of getting what I want if I wait until the students are back in school?

Despite the numbers of people that may be applying for a particular unit, students are the least desirable type of tenant, from a landlord’s point of view. Generally they are considered less stable financially and emotionally and are suffer the stigma of having both high turn over and no respect for the unit and building. So, unless you have bad credit or borderline finances, even if dozens of students apply for the apartment that you want, there really should be no competition.
That being said, most classes start in the last week or August or first week of September. If you don’t have stellar credit or have financial limitations that make you a less then desirable candidate for an apartment, waiting until the students are situated may give you a better chance at approval.

originally posted August 10, 2007

No comments: