Monday

My landlord won't give me a referral.....

Hi, I am going to attend New York University this fall and am coming into town next week to look for an apartment. I have my school acceptance letter and copy of my bank statement showing that I have enough in savings to cover my rent for the nine months I will be in NYC. I want to bring a referral letter from my current landlord, but he says that he doesn’t give referrals until a tenant moves out. How can I prove that I am a good tenant?

Welcome to NYU and New York City! You are already far ahead of most new comers if you have enough money to cover rent for nine months and that in it self will be pretty appealing to most landlords. Generally landlords in NYC don’t ask for landlord references. However, if you have proof of your monthly rent payments, either a receipt or copies of the canceled checks, that will certainly suffice for anyone who may want a referral.

You should also be aware that most landlords will want you to rent for an entire year. If you only look for rentals that will allow nine months, you may be severely limiting yourself. Many students rent from year to year, especially if they will be returning next year to school. If you will only be here for nine months, rent for a year and then give notice two months before you intend on leaving.

Good luck in your search and enjoy the best city in the world!

originally posted July 6, 2007

No comments: