Friday

Fondue You!

Everyone is eating fondue!!

Okay, I can almost see you roll your eyes at this.

1) Come on, who really eats fondue?
2) Isn’t fondue just melted cheese? I have a microwave and Velveeta.
3) It seems like a “chick” thing.

I admit the name alone put me off. Who calls a restaurant “Dip”? But today, as luck would have it, I was having lunch with a fan of Dip and so off I went to “enjoy” what I expected to be a bowl of cheese wiz and some stale French bread.

Boy was I misinformed! The bubbling bowl of delicately blended Gruyere, Swiss cheese, and white wine was complemented perfectly by big, firm, chunks of fresh bread. Far from being a “chick” lunch, grown men in tables around us skewered big pieces of steak and hunks of vegetables with rather serious looking tridents. The whole place was packed and smelled absolutely luscious. But the best was yet to come. The fresh fruit and brownie cubes served with a velvety chocolate fondue made the perfect ending to a thoroughly delightful lunch.

Reasonably priced, Dip is charming enough for a lunch date with your Mom. But, for a date, can anyone deny the sex appeal of sharing strawberries and melting chocolate?

Dip Café 416 3rd Avenue at 29th Street http://www.dipcafe.com/